The past few days have been a little on the rough side. It’s all temporary stuff, I know, I’ve just been
ridiculously insane a little hormonal, and it’s been hard. I’m calling my doctor to talk about changing my meds (or increasing the dosage) because I don’t feel like myself at all, so I’m being proactive and trying to fix it. Objectively, I know that my life is pretty awesome: great family and friends, two beautiful kids, everybody’s healthy, Dave & I both have good jobs, we have a nice house, etc. We’re the freaking American Dream over here. There’s no logical reason for me to feel so mopey, and I know that, so I’m going to get help for it.
And I also know that once I start getting a little more sleep on a consistent basis, and feeling a little more stable on the whole work/mom/wife front, things will get easier. Or they should.
But in the meantime, I thought I’d write down a few things that have cracked me up lately, because (a) y’all probably don’t want to read a bunch of depressing crap about my moodiness, and (b) I need to be reminded that The Funny is still here.
1. A few nights ago, Lucy was being really fussy for no discernible reason (babies are like that sometimes, you know), and Dave was trying to calm her down while I took care of Catie’s bedtime routine. After she screamed her head off for a good long while, she finally collapsed from exhaustion. On Dave’s face.
Ok, mostly on his jaw, but still. That picture cracks me up.
2. While changing Lucy’s diaper, she peed on the changing table, so while I was holding her in the air trying to clean it up (and she was diaper-less, of course), she peed again. And it got all over Catie’s backpack.
Catie’s reaction was to cry, “Lucy just PEES on everything and this is why we should send her to live with somebody else!”
I told her that I only have two babies and I plan on keeping both of them. Also, maybe she should stop leaving her stuff in her baby sister’s room, particularly right next to the changing table.
3. The way Catie says “ridiculous.” She keeps telling me that stuff is “ri-dick-lee-ous.” Love it.
4. I got this adorable monogrammed onesie as a baby gift from my aunt and uncle.
I called my mom and described it to her over the phone.
My mom: “Oh, I don’t like that.”
Me: “What? It’s cute! What do you mean?”
Mom: “I don’t think it’s safe for kids to have their names printed on their clothes like that.”
Me: “Mom, she’s 7 weeks old. You think someone’s going to call her name and she’s going to go running to them?”
Mom: “Huh. Good point.”
5. A few nights ago, “Independence Day” was on TV and I was watching it while Catie played upstairs in her room. She came downstairs, I was about to change the channel (because, you know, it’s not exactly a kid-friendly movie), but before I could, she asked me what I was watching.
Me: “Oh, it’s just a movie about bad aliens that come to Earth. But it’s all silly make-believe stuff.” (I try to be very nonchalant about potentially scary stuff so she doesn’t get freaked out.)
Catie: [sees the shot of Air Force One in mid-flight] “Is that the aliens’ spaceship?”
Me: “No, that’s the President’s airplane. But see, in this pretend movie, they say that he [pointing at Bill Pullman] is the President. And you know that our President is Obama, right? And he doesn’t look anything like that, does he?”
Catie: “No, that’s silly! That’s not Obama! Obama has short hair just like Baby Sister!”
Yeah. I can totally see that. Lucy and Barack Obama are basically twins, aren’t they?
Twins, for sure!
Also, hope you get to feeling better soon!
Ah, hopefully things will start to brighten up soon:)
Babies fall asleep in the cutest and weirdest places. When my twins first started to crawl, they would crawl into the closet and fall fast asleep!
Love the onesie. Simple and cute. Lucy is one of one of my all-time favorite names.
Hugs and Mocha,
I am pretty sure that I saw Obama wearing that same outfit in the last picture a few weeks ago…but you know Lucy rocks it so much better. (Awesomely cute outfit & I love that Catie has a matching shirt)
Yup, full-on twins. [Love the outfit!]