I’m getting induced tomorrow. I’ve come to terms with the fact that this baby is not going to evacuate her current premises willingly, so we’re going in after her.
And it’s funny, I’ve been joking for a while about how I have a feeling that this baby is going to be more like me. Mainly because Catie is so much like Dave, but also because this child will be the second girl (just like I am), with a large-ish age gap between herself and her older sister (Catie is almost 4 1/2, my sister and I are 5 1/2 years apart). I don’t know, it’s just a hunch that she’s going to inherit more of my traits than Catie did.
And as it happens, my mom had to be induced when she was pregnant with me, because I had no intention of being born either. So there you have it, commonality from the get-go.
It’s sort of weird, having the induction scheduled and knowing that I’m going to have a baby tomorrow. It’s actually helped calm down my tendency to over-plan. Today we’ve spent doing laundry, getting groceries, setting up the pack ‘n’ play in our bedroom, all of those last-minute preparations.
And I’ve been trying to soak up as much of Catie as I possibly can, enjoying these last few minutes of her as an Only Child. It’s probably weird that I haven’t been emotional about that until just now. Go figure.
And now for a completely unrelated topic!
Ever wondered about some of those old wives’ tales that people swear will make you go into labor? I’d like to tell you right now that they’re all crap.
Here are some of the ones I’ve heard repeatedly, along with my personal experience:
* Acupuncture – While it definitely made the baby “drop” a lot lower, nothing else has happened.
* Sex – No comment. (People in my family read this website, I refuse to say anything else about it.)
* Walking – I’ve been on the treadmill every day for the past two weeks. No luck.
* Other exercises (prenatal yoga, squats) – No luck.
* Castor oil – Relatively unpleasant (not as bad as what I’d heard some people describe, but still not what I’d call a good time), and it didn’t help at all.
* Spicy food – Ok, this is the one I couldn’t really commit to. I ate things spicier than I would normally eat them, which is still way milder than what the old wives’ tale intended. I am a wimp about spicy food, I just can’t handle it at all. It’s physically painful for me. So, eh, whatever.
* Evening primrose oil – I’ve been taking the pills orally and also applying it, um, internally. Nothing.
* Red raspberry leaf tea – Nope. Doesn’t taste bad, though.
* Warm baths – Nice, but totally unhelpful.
* Nipple stimulation – I’ve yanked on my own boobs about a million times, trying to mimic the feeling of a nursing baby or a breast pump, because (allegedly) it’s supposed to make the uterus contract. Let me tell you what I learned: it hurts. A lot. And it didn’t do a damn thing.
* Eggplant Parmesan – It was delicious. But it didn’t do anything.
* Pineapple – I love pineapple. I’ve eaten so much that the inside of my mouth is sore from the acidity. And it didn’t help one whit.
Back to the whole Impending Baby Thing!
So, yeah. Induction starts tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. Hopefully we’ll have an announcement before the day is over. Oh, and a name. Because we still don’t have a clue what we’re going to call this poor kid.
But, my sweet little Baby No Name, we can’t wait to meet you. And your mama can’t wait to not have this view every time she looks down.
You have no idea how much more comfortable we will both be once you’re out here in the world. I promise. We’re gonna have so much fun.
Yaye for TOMORROW!!! Can’t wait to hear the news! Sending happy, healthy and quick labor vibes your way!!!
Love ya! XOXO
Yay for tomorrow! I will be at work and thinking the same thoughts as AmazingGreis, happy, healthy, and quick labor!
also about the old wives tales of labor? I’m having my friend read this. She’s due in July.
Big hugs to big sis Catie!
So excited for you!! Best of luck tomorrow. I’ll be thinking of you!
I didn’t get sad about Emily not being the only child until Abby was about 2 weeks old. And it was crushing. But I wouldn’t trade what we have, and what they have in each other, for anything.
I found you from AmazingGreis …….yeah, I tried several of the old wives tales, really spicy food, lots of sex, walking around the hilly neighborhood, nothing……….my first was 2 weeks late and put me through 24 hours of labor. 2 weeks and a day?
My second was 2 weeks early. I told him as soon as I found out I was pregnant that the eviction notice is filled out and already submitted because the renter found out he was related to the first occupant.