the ER, revisited (literally)

So, my pledge to stay out of hospitals in 2009? Not going so well. It’s March and I’ve already ended up in the ER twice. Actually, twice just in the month of March alone. Well, not me, personally, but I keep ending up there with other people.

Today started off pretty normal and ho-hum. Mags (my mother-in-law) and I were talking about what to make for dinner. She makes the most amazing shepherd’s pie in the world and she hadn’t made it since she got here, so that sounded pretty good. I had most of the supplies, but we were missing a few key ingredients, so she and I loaded up Catie and set off for the grocery store.

We were about 3/4 of the way done with the shopping, when Catie started to get irritable, so we headed to the bakery to get her a cookie bribe. While we were there, we checked out the deli to get ourselves some lunch. Catie wolfed down her cookie and ran back to the bakery section to get another one. I told her no, but she wouldn’t come back over to us, so Mags went to get her. She picked Catie up and started walking toward me and the cart. Catie squirmed, and it was enough to throw Mags off balance and make her fall. She was so panicked about protecting Catie from hitting the floor that she basically twisted Catie out of the way and hit the floor full force with her forehead. Ouch.

The deli and bakery ladies swarmed around us. They got her some ice for her head, put a huge stuffed Easter bunny under her head as a pillow, and they called 911. The store manager showed up and made sure I had her card and she had all of our contact info. I’m sure she’s terrified that we’re going to sue. I called Dave, who showed up a minute or two before the EMTs. The EMTs took her out to the ambulance to examine her, and decided that she was most likely ok to go home. Fine, then.

Only, not so much. On the drive home (barely over a mile), Mags said she was feeling dizzy and nauseous. As soon as we stopped, she got out of the car and threw up in the driveway. I called 911, and the exact same paramedics arrived a few minutes later. This time, they took us to the hospital. Dave has a huge work project due, so we decided that he’d stay home with Catie (who was in dire need of lunch and a nap), and I’d go with Mags to the hospital.

A couple of hours and a CAT scan later, it was determined that she’s basically fine, although probably has a mild concussion. They gave her some anti-nausea medication (since she was still a little bit sick from the dizziness), and sent us home.

Mags was supposed to fly home tomorrow, but we all agree that’s probably not the best idea with a concussion. She just called the airline and changed her ticket for next Wednesday, so that’s good. And I don’t think I’m going to ask her to make shepherd’s pie tonight. Maybe some other time.

Side note to God: can we please now be done with hospitals for the year? Pretty please?

2 thoughts on “the ER, revisited (literally)

Comments are closed.