In Mississippi

The moving and house closing went off as well as could reasonably be expected. I was surprisingly ok about most of it; I cried when I left our house and again when we left Patsy’s for the last time, but otherwise I kept it together. We had a great time with my sister, had dinner with Kris, took Cate to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle on Wednesday, and then flew to Mississippi on Thursday morning.

As it turns out, I was expecting the Tuesday (the Move Day) to be the worst, but no, it was Thursday that was our hell day.

First, just as we were pulling up to the rental car return place, Cate projectile-barfed all over the car seat, herself, and the entire back seat. It was milk. Which – in reverse – smells like death and is all curdled like cottage cheese. Seriously, seriously gross. I held her out in front of me like she was a bomb and ran to the ladies’ room, where I cleaned her up with wet naps and changed her clothes while she screamed bloody murder.

Meanwhile, if rental car companies maintain any sort of blacklist, I’m sure that Tracy will be forever banned from Dollar Rent-A-Car, because she just handed over the keys to the puke-soaked car with a “um, sorry!” and took off. She was mortified, but what could we do? It’s not like we had the time or resources to clean it ourselves. As it was, the whole incident made us so late that we almost missed our flight.

But! We made our flight and Cate was fine all the way to Atlanta – she even slept for 2.5 hours of it. Yay! Then we get to Atlanta and find out that our connecting flight to Jackson was cancelled. Boo! So we spent over 6 hours hanging out in the Atlanta airport waiting for another one. Luckily Tracy is one of the Delta “Gold Crown” status people, so we got to hang out in the fancy club room with free cocktails (they also had both milk & apple juice for Cate, yippee!), which was better than your usual “stranded in an airport” scenario. So that was good, but it still sucks to be stuck in limbo like that.

Tracy was able to get on standby on the 7:20 flight since she has her fancy-shmancy status with Delta, but Cate & I were numbers 10 and 11 on the standby list because we aren’t Delta frequent flyers. I managed to get one seat booked on the 11 p.m. flight, and decided that I could just go with it and ride with Cate in my lap. She’s under 2, it’s legal.

After we talked about it, Tracy said she’d take Cate in her lap on the earlier flight, since it was better to go ahead & get the poor kiddo to her destination, rather than keeping her up past midnight. I agreed, then had a full-on panic attack when I saw my baby leaving to get on a plane that I wasn’t on. That was an irrational Mommy Phobia that I didn’t even know I had. What if something happened and I wasn’t there? I mean, if the plane crashed and we were both on it, yes that’s tragic and awful. But if something happened to her and I was left behind… I don’t know how I’d live with myself.

Luckily, when they started going through the names on the standby list, I was the LAST ONE called. I hugged the Delta ticket agent so hard that I dropped my water bottle, ran onto the plane, got the lady sitting next to Tracy (with a now-screeeaming Cate in her lap) to swap seats with me so I could sit with them. Once we were seated and everything was ok, I started to cry. I just couldn’t take it anymore, the panic effect wore off, I was so exhausted (we had all been up since 4:30 a.m.) and I broke down. I’m pretty sure it’s not the last time I’ll cry during all of this, too.

The 7:20 flight didn’t actually leave until almost 9:30, so we finally got to Jackson somewhere around 10 p.m. Cate didn’t fall asleep until almost 1, but at least she slept until 9 a.m. (apparently she’s still on west coast time, thank the stars).

Today’s been ok. It’s just been really hard because Cate doesn’t understand what’s going on so she’s been super-clingy and crying a lot more than usual. She pretty much freaks anytime I’m out of her line of vision. Going to the bathroom is a challenge. It’s upsetting for me because I know this isn’t her normal personality and I don’t really have any way to reassure her and make her feel secure that it’s all ok.

But it’s great to see my parents – especially my mom, who looks very cute with her little bald head. And I’m so excited about the people we’re going to visit with while we’re in town. (Danielle, email me if you’re around this week!)

I’m not sure if this makes sense, but it hasn’t quite sunk in that we’re not going back to Seattle when this trip is over. Weird.

Meanwhile, Dave is having all kinds of fun driving cross-country and sightseeing along the way. He’s extended his trip by a couple of days just so he has time to see more stuff. I think he’s in Minneapolis tonight. I’m just glad someone is having fun.

7 thoughts on “In Mississippi

  1. I totally would have been the one barfing in this scenario. Sorry it’s been a pain, but at least the hardest part is over…right?

  2. Ah, airplane travel. I’m glad to hear you guys are safe and sound in Mississippi, even if the flight was a total pain.
    Enjoy your downtime before you get to North Carolina and have to unpack!

  3. I know it’s heartbreaking for you that Cate is having a clingy time. Part of it might just be that she’s picked up your stress cues, and after a few days with family she’ll be just fine.

  4. And I think I’d have had the exact same irrational fear of seeing e-baby get on a different plane.

  5. Back to work on Monday unfortunately so it’s been mostly solid driving and not much sightseeing.

    It was nice to see friends in MN.

    Arrive in NC tomorrow!

  6. Hang in there! Somehow I think not being in Dayton for the sale of the house has been helpful. We close this week but when we left, it was still ours…this is a hard week for us, too, and I’ll be thinking of you. Exciting new adventures ahead!

Comments are closed.