Yesterday we had sort of an early Christmas celebration with the in-laws, since they’re leaving tomorrow. My mother-in-law made a huge meal for everyone, which was quite yummy even though it was all British food and not at all what I think of as being traditional Christmas fare. There was nary a sweet potato in sight, and I just don’t think you can call it Christmas unless there’s some food item that’s been topped off with marshmallow. Still, it was good and we had fun. And Dave loved it, because it’s all stuff that I have no idea how to cook.

After dinner, we did our gift exchange. (Dave and I haven’t given each other our presents yet, which we’ve said is because we’re going to wait until Christmas Day, but if we’re being honest, it’s because neither of us has bought the other’s present yet. We’re romantic like that.) I got a really beautiful necklace from my mother-in-law and a couple of other things (frame, bookmarker, etc.). Dave got a high-definition DVD player that burns DVD’s, so he’s happy. Cate got a really beautiful snow globe that plays “Frosty the Snowman,” and some toys, although we only let her have one last night. I figure it’s better to space them out and let her enjoy one at a time rather than get overstimulated by too much at once.

Cate’s back at daycare today, to give me a break for a few hours to work and get some stuff done around the house. She’s pretty much totally over her cold, except for the runny nose that just won’t stop. Her mood is 100% improved, she was crawling all over the place laughing her head off last night. I can’t begin to say how thankful I am for that. My plan is to dash her by the pediatrician’s office tomorrow anyway – I know she’s better, but I’d like to have them take a look at her ears before we get on a plane on Friday just to be sure.

(Btw, I’m feeling better too, although I still have a cough that could wake the dead. And my eyes are all red and puffy, but I’m pretty sure it’s just an allergic reaction to something. There’s no gunk, so I don’t think it’s pink eye. But either way, believe me, I am looking and sounding ever so sexy these days.)

Thanks for all the emails and comments about my mom. She’s doing pretty well. She said she’s having a hard time finding the right balance with her painkillers – too much makes her nauseated, not enough leaves her in pain. But otherwise she’s doing really well. She has a follow-up doctor’s appointment today to get stitches out and whatnot. Last time this didn’t bring up any good news, but hopefully today will be better.

2 thoughts on “pre-Christmas

  1. I hope the latest appointment brought good news. I’m glad to hear that you’re all on the mend. We’ll be in Florida soon, just a short call away from Mississippi if you need us. 🙂

  2. Thinking of you guys and checking in frequently for updates. Your description of Cate laying her head on your leg the other night when she didn’t feel good was a little heart-breaking. Hang in there.

Comments are closed.